Welcome to CTI Techtalkers! We are an open Toastmasters club that is committed to helping our members achieve their communication and leadership goals. We offer encouragement and support, a mentoring program and lots of fun while learning. Guests are welcome.

Meetings are held every Wednesday from 12 noon to 1 pm at 3553-31st St NW, Calgary, AB. Our club meets all year.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mentoring

This past weekend I was hanging out with my niece. Her and I don't get to spend a ton of time together but I always enjoy the time when we do. I always try to make the time productive and try not to play video games or watch television with her. So I decided to bake some cookies with her. I had her do everything that she was big enough to do. Measure the sugar, pour it into the bowl, mix it with the butter, etc. I usually try to let her figure things out on her own unless she asks for help or I see her struggle with a task.

I think this is the true meaning of mentor-ship. A mentor is not there to hold your hand through every task, they are there to ask questions of or to motivate us when we are having a problem motivating ourselves.

While we were making the cookies, I was cracking some eggs and my niece turned to me and said "Why are you doing it like that?" to which I said "What other way is there to crack an egg". She then proceeded to show me a better way to crack an egg.

The point I am making is that sometimes, as a mentor, we can learn something too. So I encourage you to get a mentor if you don't already have one and if you are feeling up to it, start mentoring someone else. It doesn't have to be a long term thing, it can just be helping a new member through their first time as time keeper.

I know that you will find it as rewarding and beneficial as I have.

No comments: