Welcome to CTI Techtalkers! We are an open Toastmasters club that is committed to helping our members achieve their communication and leadership goals. We offer encouragement and support, a mentoring program and lots of fun while learning. Guests are welcome.

Meetings are held every Wednesday from 12 noon to 1 pm at 3553-31st St NW, Calgary, AB. Our club meets all year.

Friday, May 12, 2006

The District Contest experience

It was very exciting indeed to be a contestant at the District International Speech contest. We had our briefing and drew the speaking order on Friday night. The energy level was very high in the room. I drew an Ace. Arghhh! On Saturday afternoon all the contestants were gathered for a sound check an hour before the contest. Each person had a chance to try out the lapel mic and test their planned movements on the stage and check out the lighting. The sound technicians were knowledgable and incredibly supportive. Some of the contestants appeared to be old hands at this. It was ALL new to me! Randy Harvey, the 2004 World Champion of Public Speaking came to the sound check to wish us all well and told us if we needed a smiling face, he would be in the front row. That helped a lot! The contestants were all high calibre speakers and I was proud to be amongst them. While I didn't place, I felt like a winner. So many Toastmasters came up afterwards to tell me how much they liked my speech. It was a great experience! I was strengthened knowing that your good wishes were with me and by all the advice and help you have given me. Thank you!
Darlene

No comments: